Philippians 1:19-20 “JOY in spite of circumstances”
Jan 06 2020
“JOY in spite of circumstances”
During our Monday night men’s bible study, we got into Philippians chapter 1 verses 19-26 and how Paul had discovered the secret of a joy filled life and that we can as well. Those truths that Paul wrote down in his letter to the church at Philippi are just as powerful today. The truth that God’s glory isn’t limited upon our winning it rests completely upon His winning. In verses12-18 we note that:
- Vs. 12-14 Our obstacles in God’s hands are His opportunities: God is able to work even when it looks to us as though He can’t.
- Vs. 15-18 Our competitions are cause for God’s completions: It doesn’t matter who scores the points as long as your team wins!
Then in verses 19-26 we see that:
- Vs. 19-20 Our testing produces God’s triumphs: Look at the words he uses: This “WILL turn out, my EARNEST EXPECTATION, in NOTHING, AS ALWAYS, SO NOW.” Paul is 100% certain even though he has been under house arrest or prison for over 2 years he is still optimistic and confident.
- Vs. 21-26 Our passing ensures our profit: There is no greater verse that capsulizes the Christian hope then these words in verse 21 “To live is Christ, and to die is gain.” These words of Paul are not the words of a man so depressed with living here on earth that his only hope is heaven. Here is a test you can take to determine what real living to you. Put what you think constitutes real living in this phrase: “For me, to live is _________”! Can you fill in the blank with?
“For to me to live is money and to die is to leave it all behind.”
“For to me to live is popularity and to die is to be forgotten.”
“For to me to live is power and to die is to lose it all.”
Looking at the first chapter of this letter it is no wonder Paul had JOY in spite of his circumstances as he says:
- Vs. 13 Because of his chains Jesus was known
- Vs. 18 Because of his critics Jesus was preached
- Vs. 20 Because of his crisis Jesus was magnified
Saints, when our goal is Jesus and not ourselves then success will always happen ill regardless of chains, critics and crisis! Paul had resolved the single issue that precludes us form having JOY in spite of circumstances: Whose life we are living for? Dear ones nothing can steal your joy if you possess the single mind that is verse 21 “For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”
This has been Pastor Dale