1 Corinthians 1:10
“The basis of unity”
Paul writes in the first 9 verses of 1st Corinthians, fives things that he thanked God for on their behalf. Having done so in the 10th verse he makes an appeal based upon grace and offers to come alongside them to help them back to the ground of unity. Saint’s it’s our relationship to Jesus Christ that unifies us, if we cannot agree on Him and His work, then we can have no unity. What follows in verse 10 is three specific things we all ought to agree upon concerning Jesus:
- “That you all speak the same thing”: The idea here doesn’t mean that we all think alike, but rather that we all possess the mind of Christ. Concerning the fundamentals of the faith, we ought to all agree on the person and work of God, on how we are saved. I believe nothing has weakened the Church of God and caused more divisions than the lack of verse by verse teaching.
- “That there be no divisions among you”: The word “divisions” is where we get our word “schisms” and means to tear or rip. The Church at Corinth had become little more than a popularity contest. That is how most of the denominations have been formed in Christianity; people tearing away from the body of Christ because of self-interest and self-centeredness which has led to schisms!
- “That you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.” Finally, Paul says they need to be perfectly joined together. The word in Greek means to be put back together and was used to mend fishing nets or medically to set a bone. The Church at Corinth was broken as a Church body and needed to be put back together. And Paul tells them how to go about doing this by saying that they were to be:
- “In the same mind”: Internally
- “In the same judgment”: Externally
Saints, we will never be carbon copies of each other, but we all ought to be of the “Mind of Christ” and seek to imitate Him. The purpose of this is because we are one body, and, in so living, we will glorify Him and reach an unbelieving world for Him.
This had been Pastor Dale, Blessings!