“He called her woman”
In Genesis chapter 2:18-15 we have a great event for men that took place on the 6th day of creation. First in verses 18-19 we read that something was not good. The word means incomplete and God list two reasons how Adam was incomplete and why Eve completed him.
- “It is not good that man should be alone”: Adam needed companionship, he was to social and needed to have someone to share his life with.
- “Helper comparable to him”: She was not only to share his life but his work as well. The word “helper” means to support and the word “comparable” means to complement.
In verses 19-20 we are told how God revealed this need to Adam by naming the animals Adam as he would discover two things about himself:
- He would realize that all of the other creations had a mate and he didn’t.
- The word “name; implies examining to discover its character or nature. In seeing what these animals were to each other he would discover what a gift Eve would to him. She was not to be his beast of burden nor was she to be his pet to occupy his time. She was not just a baby factory either.
In verses 21-23 we are told how God formed Eve from man. The word “rib” is actually “side” and several things come to mind:
- The side protects our most delicate and vital organs. Women are very protective in nature.
- The side also protectors the heart, which we often link to the center of our emotions. Women are much more in tune with their emotions.
- Finally, from the side of man that she might be his equal. “Not from his feet that she would be his servant, nor from his head that she would be his master, but from his heart that she would be dear to him!”
Finally, in verses 23-25 God gives four principals of marriage:
- 23 UNITY: “bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh”. It is the most fundamental aspect of marriage.
- 23 ORDER: “She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” There is a biblical leadership in a marriage and man has been given that role. What this looks like is to treat your wife as Jesus treats His church. “Lay down your life for her!”
- 24 PERMANENCE: “a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife.” The word “joined” is glued thus security is a principal of marriage. Henry Ford had it right when he quipped about the secrets of a successful marriage, “The same as making a successful car: stick to one model.”
- 25 COMMUNICATION: “they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.” They were not ashamed not because a lack conscience but rather because they recognized that their physical differences were part of God’s creation.