“Hassel Free Salvation”
In Roman’s chapter 4 Paul brought before his readers; Abraham as a witness that God grants by unmerited favor, self worth and value apart from works. What makes Abraham all the more remarkable as an example of a man of faith is what he didn’t have:
- He didn’t have: A Bible to read, he only had God’s word hidden in his heart
- He didn’t have: Other believers cheering him own in his faith, he was alone
- He didn’t have: A record of folks who blazed the trail before him; he was blazing the trail for us
Friends, in faith it is God’s ability that is the foundation to faith’s stability. In verses 13-15 of Roman’s chapter 4 Paul make two points:
- 13-14 That all of God’s dealings with Abraham happened (according to Galatians 3:17-18) 430 years before the law was given. Based on this, Paul tells us that faith is not about trying to live up to a standard. Faith does not expect God to accept and love us because we have tried our best.
- 15 Second, that works as a basis of worth requires us to do something that we can’t. You may say, “Pastor, I’ll give you a million dollars if right now you fly around the room!” It isn’t a problem of the reward; it is a problem of the request because you are asking me to do something that is impossible for me to do. The law asks us in our own natural abilities to LOVE God and my fellow man all the time without failure.
According to Paul’s words in verse 16 we are not saved by faith, we are saved by God’s grace, appropriated by faith. With regards to our Salvation we see that:
- The Father thought it
- The Son bought it
- The Spirit taught it
- The Bible brought it
- Satan fought it
- And by God’s grace we got it
Oh how thankful I am for God’s grace appropriated by faith! A while back I tried to book a flight with flight miles from “A No Hassel” card. But as soon as I tried to book it all I got was the restrictions and hassles. I had to call the card and listen to the man read the list of “Hassles” from the no Hassel list of restrictions. Saint’s let’s praise Him for our “Hassel Free Salvation”!